Buying a best tablet with a pencil is one of the best choices students and creatives can make. In addition to making the usability of the touch device more flexible, they maximize productivity on them.
Content of the page
If you decide to make your own, we have a guide on how to make a diy tablet pen.
If you are interested in tablets that include a compatible stylus, in this post we will show you the best options on the market. Likewise, we answer some frequently asked questions that you may have regarding this combination of devices.
Best Pen Tablets in 2022
Let us show you our selection of tablets with a stylus included, which we have tested and evaluated for several months, on the occasion of our product reviews:
- iPad + Apple Pencil: The cheapest Apple option
- Galaxy Tab S6 Lite + S Pen : Samsung’s best value pen tablet
- Lenovo Tab P11 Pro + Lenovo Pen 2: The best tablet with a pen and keyboard
- MatePad Pro + M-Pen: The best tablet with a stylus
1. The cheapest Apple option
iPad + Apple Pencil
- Color: White
- Brand: Apple
- Material: Unspecified
- Number of Batteries: 1 Lithium Polymer batteries required.
- Item Weight: 0.14 Kilograms
One of the tablets that offer the best experience when using the pencil designed for combined use is undoubtedly the iPad. But of course, since it is a fairly expensive device, we have chosen not to suggest the iPad Air or the Apple iPad Pro, but rather the eighth generation iPad (2020).
Although this model has fair quality in terms of hardware and resolution, the truth is that it sincerely far exceeds any Android device at the same price. At this time the iPad 2018 is priced at $363, in its 32 GB version: Although we suggest that, if you are going to launch an Apple device, you invest in the 128 GB version so that you do not run out of space.
Another aspect to consider is that it is almost never possible to buy an Apple tablet that comes on sale with its Apple Pen, so you will have to buy it separately: In this case, it is compatible with the 1st Generation Apple Pencil.
The Apple Pencil is one of the most complete tools that can be used with an iPad to achieve incredible results for drawing, designing and annotating. The 1st generation model has a link and charge via a lightning connector, and has sensitivity to more than 2,000 levels of pressure and inclination.
It works by Bluetooth connectivity, and it is a very good complement, although it does not incorporate the magnetic charging or the double-tap function to change the tool that the 2nd Generation Apple Pen does have.
A cheaper compatible pen
If you don’t want to invest so much in an accessory, because you think you won’t get the most out of it (this is a pencil intended for creatives and artists), you can opt for the Logitech Crayon, which is the only stylus certified to be used with iPads. ( Logitech Crayon Digital Pen: For All iPad 2019 or later, iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, iPad Air with iOS 12.2 or later)
2. Samsung’s best value pen tablet
Galaxy Tab S6 Lite + S Pen
- Brand: SAMSUNG
- Color: White
- Material: Paper
- Number of Batteries: 1 Lithium Ion batteries required. (included)
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 0.26 x 3.37 x 5.48 inches
Looking for a tablet with S Pen? This is one of the products with the most outstanding features for its price, which is currently $275, and the compatible S Pen is also included with the purchase.
Yes, because we must clarify that there is an S Pen model for each Samsung device: these are not interchangeable. The Tab S6 Lite not only has a high-quality screen and finish but also has excellent hardware for most medium and high demand applications.
The S Pen compatible with the said tablet is stored by means of a magnetic connection on one of the sides of the tablet and is loaded in that space. It has Bluetooth built-in, so the tablet screen is responsive-without the pen actually touching the screen.
With this device, in addition to drawing and taking notes, you can take screenshots and scroll through the different menus with complete fluidity. Also, you can take notes when the screen is locked.
You may also like: Best Tablet Keyboards
3. The best tablet with a pen and keyboard
Lenovo Tab P11 Pro + Lenovo Pen 2
- Brand: BoxWave Corporation
- Color: Jet Black
- Material: Metal
- Are Batteries Included: No
- Batteries Required?: No
Tablets with a pen undoubtedly have many advantages, but when they also incorporate a high-quality keyboard, they become infallible work tools. For a price of $535 we can get a powerful device, and with two of the highest quality accessories in the tablet segment.
The Tab P11 Pro tablet from the manufacturer Lenovo that we propose not only has a solid 6 GB RAM memory and a 2.2 GHz Snapdragon 730G eight-core processor, but also a 2K resolution screen and four JBL speakers with Dolby Atmos technology . These features make the Tab P11 Pro a workhorse capable of competing with the first on this list.
As for its stylus: the Lenovo Pen, it has more than 4,000 pressure levels and provides about 100 hours of use. It also has the useful palm rejection function to prevent resting your hand on the screen from interfering with the touch function when drawing.
In addition, it incorporates two side buttons to open specific applications. If we combine it with the keyboard that includes a touchpad to avoid having to touch the touch screen, we turn the tablet into a powerful productivity tool.
You may also like: Best Tablet Pencil
4. The best tablet with a stylus
MatePad Pro + M-Pen
- Brand: BoxWave Corporation
- Color: Metallic Silver
- Material: Aluminum
- Item Weight: 1.3 Ounces
- Are Batteries Included: Yes
If you really want a tablet to draw or study, Huawei’s MatePad Pro may be one of the best options on the market, both for the quality, it exhibits in itself and for the many advantages that the purchase of the M-Pen can bring: is the pencil developed by Huawei for its touch devices.
For a price of less than 400 $, we will have a high-end tablet, which is evident in all its specifications: We are talking about a 10.8-inch device with Full HD resolution, with adequate contrast, colours and brightness. In addition, the Kirin 990 processor in conjunction with the 6 GB of RAM offers excellent performance in all types of applications and games.
Of course, keep in mind that this tablet since its launch does not have Google Mobile Services, so you will not be able to easily (or legally) access Gmail, Play Store, YouTube, Netflix, Disney +, etc.
At Droiders we have no problems with third-party apps and we have downloaded the Krita app through the Petal Search browser to test the creative potential of the M-Pen. Which by the way is sold separately, and is quite reasonably priced.
This has offered us very high sensitivity to pressure levels (it has a capacity of 4096 levels), apart from discovering that the tip does not slip as it happened with the Pen of the MediaPad M5 Lite model. The battery has lasted us 10 hours and the charge is done magnetically by attaching to the tablet.
Even when it runs out of charge, we’ve been able to use the other end of the stylus to continue our tasks with adequate tactile feedback from the screen.
Although the writing response is not as fast as that of the Apple Pencil with the iPad, remember that it is a high-end tablet, at half the price of an iPad Pro. In the drawing, it is simply perfect, but of course, in the drawing is not usually done as fast and in small strokes as when writing.
We end with an alternative for those users who have preferences for the operating system of their everyday devices: It is the only tablet of this selection that incorporates Windows 10 and also brings its own pen and keyboard.
We are talking about the CHUWI Hi10 X, a mid-range 2-in-1 tablet, which has the following characteristics: Aluminum alloy body, 10.1-inch screen with Full HD resolution and IPS (retina) technology.
It has an Intel Gemini Lake N410 processor that reaches 2.4 GHz, 6 GB of RAM and a 128 GB hard drive expandable with a microSD. With these features we see them more as a good substitute for an office laptop, or as a drawing and photo editing tablet.
The 3,250 mAh battery offers adequate autonomy, and the connector is USB type C. As for the H6 HiPen pen, it detects up to 1024 levels of pressure and provides a smooth and efficient line, without delays.
Due to the material of the tip, we have chosen to put the included screen protector on the tablet, although it increases the sensation of sliding when drawing. But since it has palm rejection, when supporting it to draw or write this slippery sensation is hardly felt.
In addition, it incorporates two physical buttons: one that acts as an eraser, and another that would be like the right click of the mouse.
In short, this tablet is a good economic alternative to the Microsoft Surface Pro, especially if your purpose with it is illustration, drawing and office productivity.
You may also like: Best Tablet To Work
What can be done with a pen tablet?
In general, when we think of buying a tablet with a pen, we tend to reduce its use to drawing, design, photo-editing and digital illustration. However, styluses often pack more features and shortcuts into one tablet, especially if both products are compatible.
Some styluses have one or two buttons built into their body to access applications, change tools in them, or click: This can be very useful if we want to take pictures remotely or other functions that are necessary. this gesture.
Applications to get the most out of your pen tablet
Of course, the usefulness of a stylus is not only limited to the functions it incorporates. But it also depends on programs and software in the form of applications, which manage to get the most out of their specifications:
In many cases, tablets incorporate their own apps to take notes, but we recommend the following to perfect this process, especially in the context of work or university:
Applications for architects
Architectural students and professionals alike can take great advantage of a pen tablet if they have apps that allow complex plans to be created and displayed. Here is our selection:
- Autodesk A360: This app is compatible with both iOS and Android and allows you to view and upload drawings in both 2D and 3D. It also makes it possible to explore, review and mark the designs, regardless of the program in which they were created.
- BIMx: With this app, you can navigate through projects designed in 2D as well as in 3D. By allowing you to walk through the 3D model without the need to install CAD software to run it: this feature also makes it easy to make measurement adjustments and resolve other problems detected in the model, right on the spot.
- Concepts : Although we at Droiders usually recommend Concepts as a creativity app, the truth is that its potential for architecture is just as incredible. The application allows you to make high-precision digital sketches and have a total view of each layer separately. It is available on both Android and iOS and Windows, only the free version is somewhat limited.
Applications for drawing and illustration
There are plenty of apps to draw and illustrate on touch screens. However, we can distinguish those that have a reduced number of brushes, textures and effects, from others that create a community around them for the creation of resources that make the possibilities for artistic souls literally infinite:
- ArtFlow: This Android app has support for pressure-sensitive styluses. It offers more than 80 different brushes and incorporates the palm rejection function: Which is ideal for turning your tablet into a true digital drawing pad.
- Adobe Photoshop Sketch: This extremely powerful Android app allows you to do digital work by separating shapes and colours. It has a large number of brushes, pencils, pens, etc. and also the toolbar can be 100% customized. It is possible to export the works in a format compatible with Photoshop CC and Adobe Illustrator CC: We leave you the link to download Adobe Sketch from the UpToDown app store.
- Krita Android: Krita is an app designed for illustrative artists that allows you to draw by choosing from a wide range of colours, brushes, and resources. The application incorporates stabilizers to smooth out those lines that seem shaky, and it has a Drawing Assistant: which is very useful considering that the program has a slightly complex learning curve.
- Procreate : The app of choice for any digital artist and illustrator with an iPad is hands down Procreate. It is an extremely versatile program that has many options for brushes, tools, backgrounds and other resources to achieve all the creative goals you can set for yourself. It costs about $9, but from there you’ll have a professional-grade suite.
How much is a pen tablet worth?
The price of a pen tablet varies depending on the brand, features and range of both products. Note that there are options for tablets with accessories such as a pen, keyboard and mouse for around $120, but these tend to have very basic features and low-quality construction materials.
From Droiders we recommend you invest in a good tablet with a pen from $200 and up. From that range, the price rises to around $1,000, but choosing any of these purchase alternatives will depend on your needs, and depending on the utility you are going to give the pencil.
What is the best tablet for designing?
Taking into account that design requires more hardware and software resources than illustration and drawing, it is not surprising that a powerful tablet is needed in both directions to be able to run apps for 3D design, rendering, etc.
Therefore, our tablet recommendations for designers are:
- iPad Pro/Air: For drawing and illustrating, an iPad or iPad mini can work wonders. But to run heavy design apps we recommend the Pro and Air versions, both of which are compatible with the Apple Pencil.
- Galaxy Tab S-series: Samsung’s high-end tablet, the S-series, is ideal for design and editing applications. Always buying the S-pen compatible with the model in question.
- Microsoft Surface: Surface tablets are tablet-laptop hybrids with the power to handle design tasks. In addition, its capacitive screen responds wonderfully with the brand’s stylus: the Surface Pen.
A tablet with a pencil or pointer is much more than a screen capable of reacting to the strokes of these accessories: we must take into account the hardware, software and other elements that allow us to use and enjoy these devices.
Considering all these aspects, we find the Samsung Tab S6 + S Pen to be the best tablet with a pen that we have tested, and therefore we highly recommend it .
Due to its features, performance and excellent durability, in addition to the large number of functionalities that the use of the brand’s original pencil adds, we do not hesitate to opt for one of the cheapest Samsung tablets. You will not regret!