With the rise of digital art and illustration, there are not a few people who, for work or hobby, look for the Best Drawing Tablets to draw as an alternative to graphic tablets, which also offer greater use than simply creativity.
And of course, for professional and aspiring artists, there are Best Drawing Tablets with screens that make work easier and that have now lowered their price of entry considerably.
In this article, we invite you to know what are, in our opinion, the best normal tablets that you can buy if you want to have a device that allows you to create professional-grade creative results. As well as the Best Drawing Tablets with the best value for money screen, already thinking of a more art-focused use.
In addition, we tell you in more detail about the differences between technologies, which one is better in each case, and how you can make the most of each alternative.
1. iPad 8 – Best tablet for drawing and architecture
- Gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display
- A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Support for Apple Pencil (1st generation) and Smart Keyboard
- 8MP back camera, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera
- Stereo speakers
The iPad is considered by professional illustrators and digital artists to be the Best Drawing Tablets. And if you ask one: Which Apple tablet to buy to draw? He will probably answer that an iPad Pro or Air, because of the size of the screen and because of the Liquid Retina technology, which makes the pixels so close that they are practically imperceptible.
In addition, there is Procreate, an app only available for iPad, which is the quintessential tool for illustrators, designers, and cartoonists from all over the world. To top it off, if you have macOS Catalina on your Mac or Macbook Air, you can use your iPad as a graphics tablet!
Of course, Apple products are not characterized by being especially cheap, but we already mentioned above that the budget is around 200$ and 300$, and this iPad 8 of 2020 that we propose has a price of 379$.
It has a 10.2-inch screen with Liquid Retina technology and supports more than 10 hours with the screen in use and with the brightness at full. For the price that we mentioned, you will have a 32 GB version that, frankly, is very little for the apps and the iPad OS 14 operating system (which occupies almost 10 GB).
However, if you have cloud storage you may not need to go for the 128GB version. This model is compatible with the 1st generation Apple Pencil, but if you don’t want to spend a fortune on the premium accessory, we recommend this compatible KXT pencil, which is priced at 33$.
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite – Best tablet for drawing and design
- The included S Pen makes it easier than ever to write notes and personalize photos and videos, all without needing to charge. The S Pen attaches magnetically right to your tablet so you can quickly put it down and pick it back up without losing it
- Slim Metal Design: Take this sleek, lightweight tablet anywhere. Its slim design slips right into your bag and comes in your choice of stylish colors
- Entertainment Ready: A vivid, crystal clear display draws you into content while dual speakers with sound by AKG supply spacious, Dolby Atmos surround sound
- Long-lasting Battery: A long-lasting battery lets you stream for up to 13 hours (Battery power consumption depends on usage patterns. Results may vary) on a single charge. The fast-charging USB-C port allows you to quickly get back to where you left off when you need to recharge
The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is considered by many to be the best Android tablet for drawing if you’re on a budget. Yeah sure, it might seem like $399 isn’t exactly the cheapest thing in the world, but compared to the iPad you’ll get:
A 10.4-inch screen with a resolution of 2000×1200 pixels (Full HD), with the, included S Pen, which is one of the styluses best valued by professionals. In addition, you have a powerful Exynos 9611 processor and 4 GB of RAM, which provide adequate performance for medium-high-demand applications.
The storage is 64 GB but it can be expanded via SD card, and it has a 6,840 mAh battery that has a very good performance. The metallic, borderless design, combined with the magnetically attached S Pen, gives this Best Drawing tablet a very premium finish.
Compared to the next Best Drawing Tablets we will review, it has better graphics performance, and the stylus experience for writing and drawing is simply second to none.
3. Lenovo Tab P11 – Best drawing tablet for beginners
- Processor : Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 Processor (8 Cores, 8x Kryo 260 @2.0 GHz)
- Operating System : Android 10
- Memory : 6 GB LPDDR4x (Soldered)
- Storage : 128 GB UFS 2.1
- Display : 11" 2K (2000 x 1200) IPS, anti-fingerprint, touchscreen, TDDI, 400 nits
The Lenovo Tab P11 is an 11-inch tablet, with a screen resolution of 2000 x 12000 pixels, good saturation, sharpness, and brightness of 400 nits.
It integrates a Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 octa-core processor that reaches 2.3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, and 64 GB of storage. It comes with the Android 10 operating system installed and with its 7,700 mAh battery, it reaches 7 hours of screen use with maximum brightness.
It is compatible with the Lenovo Precision Pen 2, the brand’s digital pen, which is made of aluminum and supports up to 4096 levels of pressure. It is not as good as the S Pen, because in writing the strokes are not as clear, so you can choose to buy a cheaper alternative, the Hommie pen which has a very interesting price.
Compared to the Tab S6 Lite, the Tab P11 performs better, but the handwriting is slightly lacking. Therefore, it is an ideal option for budding artists who want to obtain good results thanks to a suitable tool.
4. Meberry M7 – Best drawing tablet for kids
- 【THE PACKAGE INCLUDES】 M7 tablet | Case for tablet 2-1 | Bluetooth keyboard | 2.4G wireless mouse | Type C to USB adapter Protective film | Capacitive pen | Instruction manual USA standard charger | Type C data cable - The MEBERRY M7 Android tablet is the best gift for your lover
- 【ANDROID 10.0 4 GB RAM】 MEBERRY 10.1-inch tablet with integrated 4 GB operating memory and 64 GB storage memory - up to 256GB (4--256 GB, applicable), screen resolution 1280x800 IPS and support 8000 mAh battery 7-8 hours video playback (720P and 1080P); 5.0 + 8.0 MP camera support, tablet with dual stereo speakers and fast-transmitting Type C data interface support, TF card| WIFI | GPS accurate | Bluetooth 4.0 support
- 【MORE SUPPORT】 Our tablet is sold in a multi-accessory combination, so that customers can use it anywhere. The MEBERRY tablet is equipped with the Android 10.0 system. With GOOGLE GMS certification, we can freely download any APP in the GOOGLE store, games, music, beauty, email, weather, social apps and more: Netflix support
- 【OTHER NEEDS】 The 2022 Newest Android 10.0 Tablet is equipped with a powerful Octa-core processor and has an energy saving of 30 days on standby; at the same time, the tablet can easily perform multiple functions simultaneously without being locked, you can connect to the keyboard via Bluetooth and other devices, faster and easier. With the Type-c adapter, you can easily use the wireless mouse to make the tablet fast and fluid
- 【ELEGANT & REFINED DESIGN】 The 10.1 inch Tablet is designed by MEBERRY - the rear design in black and gray metal makes the product stand out everywhere; the black screen border design is more suitable for business purposes and gifts. Light and comfortable handle (9 mm thin), you can take it with you (tourism, work, coffee tube, library, etc.) It is a perfect tablet.You can use GOOGLE GPS, which is a good navigator
Drawing on a tablet is not always going to be an interest for adults, so if you have noticed that your child has a talent for digital art, you do not have to spend 250$ on a mid-high-range tablet like the ones we have discussed so far. moment.
This Meberry model costs only 115$, and it is an excellent Best Drawing Tablets for coloring and creating work with a medium level of detail. Well, the 10.1-inch screen has HD resolution (1280 x 800p), and as we told you if we zoom in on the drawings a lot, the pixelation is noticeable.
However, unless your child is very dexterous and detail-oriented, they won’t have to work as closely. That is why we find it a good option for children and teenagers who want to experiment with the vast number of painting and design apps available for Android.
Another reason we like this screen is its premium finish with 2.5D curved and scratch-resistant glass. And speaking in general of the offer, a cover, a protective lens, and the stylus are included with the purchase, which although it does not have a very premium finish, it does its job and with a good drawing application you can take advantage of it.
In other specifications, we have a 1.6 GHz eight-core Unisoc processor and 4 GB of RAM, which allow adequate performance in low and medium-demand apps. In addition, we are convinced that 64 GB storage, is enough for a lot of apps, saving your own artistic projects and if that were not enough, you can add up to 128 GB of storage per SD card.
Top 4 Best Graphics Tablets With Screen
If you have decided to invest in a professional drawing tablet, below we show you the characteristics of the 3 options with a screen, with the best performance-price ratio on the market:
1. XP Pen Artist 12 – Best graphics tablet with an IPS screen
- [Warm Reminder: Artist12 drawing pen display must be used with a computer] XP-PEN’s latest smallest 1920x1080 HD display paired with 72% NTSC(100%SRGB) Color Gamut, presenting vivid images, vibrant colors and extreme detail for a stunning display of your artwork. Features a slim touch bar that can be programmed to zoom in and out on your canvas, scroll up and down, and more
- Artist12 pen tablet come with 11.6 Inch display area, equipped with 8192-levels of pressure sensitivity and 6 handy shortcut keys, comes with the anti-reflective coating, included with the Multi-function Pen Holder
- Artist12 Pen display is HD IPS display. It’s ideal for drawing, photography, animation, fashion, Sketching, Image editing, 3D sculpting, drawing beginners, Art painting Amateur, architecture design and more
- Adjustable Metal Stand is fully collapsible. Can be adjusted from a 0° to 65° viewing angle in 1° increments. Avoid fatigue by adjusting your setup to suit your body’s needs!
- Optimized for use with the Artist 12, but compatible with endless different products; XP-Pen tablets and lightpads, tablets from other brands, iPads, and many moreSpecification:Length: 30cm Width: 24.5cm Height: 0.1cm Weight: 0.42 kg
The XP-Pen Artist 12 Best Drawing Tablets is approximately 14 inches in size, of which the working area for drawing is 11.6 inches. Its resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels, and the screen reaches up to 178 ° viewing angle.
It has 6 shortcut keys and a battery-free pen, which supports up to 8192 levels of pressure. The latter has a hexagonal design that makes it very comfortable to hold and incorporates a digital eraser. It comes with 8 tip replacements and supports so it doesn’t get damaged.
It is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome operating systems, and with Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, SAI, Krita, ZBrush, and GIMP software, among many others. In addition, Open Canvas 7, Art Rage 5, and Explain Everything software is included with your purchase.
2. GAOMON PD1161 – Best graphic display for 200$
- [11.6 INCHES 1080P HD IPS MONITOR]--GAOMON PD1161 is a professional drawing display. 11.6 Inch screen offering you sufficient space with 256.32×144.18mm (10.09*5.68 inch) working area. Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (16:9); Report Rate: 266RPS; Accuracy:±0.5mm (Center) ±3mm(Corner); Reading Height:10mm; Signal Output: Mini HDMI&Type-C; Viewing angle: 178°; Resolution: 5080LPI.
- [±60 DEGREES OF TILT FUNCTION]--±60 Degree Pen Tilt Technology allow you to draw freely in various ways based on subtle differences in pressure, which ensured detailed modification to be realized.[8 SHORTCUT KEYS]-- 8 programmable express keys are placed on left side surface of PD1161 Digital Pen Display. You can set the express keys based on your preference, like zoom in/out, scroll up and down, and more.
- [BATTERY-FREE PEN & 8192 LEVELS PEN PRESSURE ]-- The pen adopts the battery free electromagnetic resonance technology. There is no need to charge the pen or replace battery, which is an environment-friendly design.With high 8192 levels pen pressure, it can clearly display different lines with different thickness and depth according to the strength of using pen.
- [OS SUPPORT& PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY]-- Support Windows 7/8/8.1, Mac OS 10.12 or later; Compatible with most drawing program: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Clip Studio, Lightroom, Sketchbook Pro, Manga Studio, CorelPainter, FireAlpaca, OpenCanvas, Paint Tool SAI2, Krita and so on; [WIDELY APPLICATION]-- Drawing, photography, animation, fashion, sketching, image editing, 3D sculpture, drawing beginners, painting enthusiasts, architectural designers ect.
- [WARM REMINDER]-- GAOMON PD1161 drawing pen display must be used with a computer.GAOMON provides lifetime technical support for all Our Drawing Pen Tablets/Displays.Any question,welcome to contact us any time,GAOMON service department always be there for you.
GAOMON PD1161 is a graphic tablet with a screen that barely costs 200$, and offers the same size and resolution as the XP-Pen Artist 12. Its disadvantage compared to the first one is that it is not compatible with the Chrome operating system.
Other than that, it’s a great product that offers a very adequate color gamut, and a response time of 25 milliseconds. It has 8 direct access keys, and the Gaomon Art paints AP50 pen has 8192 levels of pressure and comes with 8 spare tips and a pen holder.
It has notable features in two ways to view your work: the Duplicate Mode, which shows the same thing you are drawing on the Best Drawing Tablets on the PC screen, and the Extended Mode, which allows you to draw simultaneously on the tablet and on the computer.
It is compatible with Windows and Mac, and with most design, architecture, and creation programs such as Sketchbook Pro, OpenCanvas, FireAlpaca, CorelPainter, Lightroom, Clip Studio, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
3. Wacom One – Cheapest Wacom tablet with a screen
Finally, we have Best Drawing Tablets from the Wacom company, which for decades has been a leader in the digitizing tablet sector. The Wacom One is priced at 340$ and has a 13.3-inch screen with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels.
It offers compatibility with both Windows and Mac and Android, so if you want to connect it to your Android Best Drawing Tablets or smartphone, you can do it without a problem. It includes a 6-month subscription to Clip Studio Paint Pro software, 2 months to Adobe Premium Rush, Bamboo Paper, and the Wacom program.
The pen has 4096 levels of pressure, and provides a smooth and precise drawing experience, as you would expect from any Wacom product. As if that were not enough, the tablet is compatible with a good number of stylus models, so you do not have a problem if you lose the one that comes with the tablet.
4. HUION Kamvas Pro 13 – Best Graphics Tablet with Screen and Tilt Support
- Outstanding Visuals: With 2560x1660 QHD resolution and a high pixel density of 226ppi, Huion Kamvas Pro 13 (2.5K) will show every detail of your creation in striking clarity. And the full lamination technology helps reduce parallax to the lowest so your cursor appears exactly where you expect even at the edges. Besides, the anti-glare glass prevents distracting reflections, with an extended vertical view on 16:10 aspect ratio, you can get 11% more space than a standard 16:9 screen.
- True-to-life Colors: Powered by Quantum Dot technology, Kamvas Pro 13 (2.5K) is able to deliver 16.7 millions colors with 145% sRGB wide color gamut (109% Adobe RGB) and a high contrast ratio of 1200:1 that ensures smooth color gradation and precision. It can satisfy the needs of creative professionals from photo and video editing to graphics design who is looking for highly color-accurate graphics monitor. Every piece of content can be displayed in the exact color as the creators intend.
- Powerful Connection: The Kamvas Pro 13 (2.5K) features a USB-C port that supports both HDMI and DP signal. You can easily and quickly hook it up to a wide variety of devices including Windows PC, Mac, Android tablets and phones with a single full-featured USB-C cable to transmit data,display signal and up to 100w power all at once.You also can use the 3 in 2 cable (HDMI) which is more stable and durable than the 3 in 1 cable. Enjoy a clutter-free work space with the powerful USB-C connectivity.
- Work for both hands - Huion Artist Glove with two fingers; The package includes one unit of glove which can be used on both hand, free size; 20cm in length, 8cm in width.
- Anti-fouling design - It can prevent smudges from your hand on a Graphic Tablet, Graphics Monitor or some other items, leaving no more scratch.
It comes with an adjustable stand, a battery-free stylus with 8192 pressure levels, a base to take care of its tip, which has 10 refills percent, and also a glove to prevent the hand from slipping.
It is compatible with Windows and Mac, and with most painting, design, and architecture software such as Corel Painter, SAI, ZBrush, Krita, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, etc.
Some Apps to use with these drawing tablets
In case you decide on a tablet to draw, we recommend the following applications, basically all free and with a large number of downloadable resources. We analyze some of them in more depth in our post about the best apps to draw on a tablet, so don’t hesitate to consult it if you want to know what to expect with each one:
Medi Bang Paint Pro
Our favorite app for drawing on Android tablets without a doubt is MediBang Paint Pro: The closest thing to free Photoshop that we have found. It is an app that is very easy to use, and with many possible configurations, in addition to numerous brushes and textures that can be downloaded for free from the MediBang cloud.
MediBang Color is an ideal app for coloring. In addition to being able to color different predetermined images, you can also make your own sketches.
Huion Sketch is the Android application of the Huion graphic tablet brand, but you can use it with any tablet actually.
It is an application very similar to MediBang, in the sense of having a large number of brushes, the possibility of making a large number of layers, professional editing tools, filters, etc. But some functionalities are only supported by Samsung tablets (such as the appearance of a cursor) or Huion tablets.
And if you opt for a graphics tablet with a screen, then our recommendations are:
Photoshop is not learned from one day to another, but when you get to know its basic operation, it is very intuitive.
In addition to being a powerful photo editing tool, it is also highly valued by painters and illustrators, thanks to a large number of free brushes that can be obtained, the possibility of applying filters, working in layers, and much more.
Illustrator is vector software, which means that no matter how much you enlarge the image you’re working on, it won’t pixelate (unless you use a lower-quality downloaded brush). This feature makes it ideal for graphic design, specifically the creation of logos and other jobs that may require large-scale printing.
Krita is very similar to Photoshop, but being Open Source it is totally free and has a huge community around the world that contributes its own brushes, textures, and other resources and knowledge. Most graphics tablets with and without a display are compatible with this software.
Drawing Tablets vs Graphic tablets
Those who aspire to be illustrators or digital artists have numerous alternatives to emulate the experience of drawing on paper.
For a professional result, the most suitable computer programs are Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, and in favor of dispensing with the mouse, a graphics tablet that connects to the PC is necessary to make the lines accurately and naturally.
The problem is that conventional graphics tablets have a somewhat steep learning curve since you have to get used to the difference between the proportions of the surface of the tablet and the size of your computer monitor. Besides the fact of having to draw looking at the computer screen and not at the tablet itself.
So that this is not an obstacle when it comes to obtaining magnificent drawing results from the first attempt, there are two alternatives: apps for drawing on tablets, which provide professional results on tablets accompanied by a suitable tablet pen. And graphic tablets with a screen.
What are graphic displays?
A graphic display is a device very similar to a conventional graphic tablet, in the sense that it has to be connected to a PC (and in some cases also to an extra power source) to work with compatible software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Krita, Paint Tool SAI, etc. The main difference is that instead of looking at the computer screen, you can focus on the graphics tablet.
Hardly any graphics tablet can be used without a computer because this device has no operating system, processor, RAM, or storage to support and store its own processes. So if you’re looking for a tablet to draw without a PC, the only one on the market so far is the Wacom MobileStudio Pro Workstation 16, priced at 3,572$.
How much does a graphics tablet with a screen cost?
A graphic tablet with a screen has a basic price of 200$ and can go up to more than 500 depending on factors such as the manufacturer, the number of accessories, construction materials, specifications, dimensions, etc.
We consider that there are very good graphics tablets with a screen between 200 and 300$, which is the same price that a suitable drawing tablet will have.
Although you can use a tablet of about 120$ with a generic pen, the screen of these Best Drawing Tablets will have a maximum resolution of 1200 x 800 pixels (HD), and when you zoom in on your drawing, you will see the pixels, therefore, it will be difficult to achieve great levels of detail.
But, you may be wondering: If the price is the same, what is the difference?
The versatility: After you finish drawing on a common tablet you can use it to watch movies, browse, check your social networks and even immediately share your work. While the graphic screen is only for drawing, it is, therefore, more recommended for professionals or people who have a serious interest in illustration, photo editing, and graphic design.
What is a better graphic tablet with a screen or without a screen?
Both screen and non-screen tablets have their advantages:
A tablet with a screen is better if you want to work more comfortably, seeing exactly what you are doing on the tablet surface itself.
On the other hand, non-screen graphics tablets today can be as cheap as $30, so they’re great for budding artists.
Summing up: What is the best drawing tablet?
If you have found it more convenient to opt for a conventional tablet to make your drawings, without a doubt the best recommendation would be the iPad 8, which will not only act as a perfect canvas for your creations but can also be linked to a Mac and function as a tablet graph.
What is the best pen tablet for drawing?
On the other hand, if you bet on a more professional and specific alternative, the best pen tablet you can find on a budget is the XP-Pen Artist 12, which has a solid construction and a premium finish pen. It also has wide compatibility with both different operating systems and software.
We hope that no matter if your goal is to get a device for design, architecture, illustration, or art, you may have found an option to your liking among our selections.